Basic Skills Assessment
The Florida Legislature mandates that each student enrolled in a certificate/diploma program must meet required minimum academic skills levels in mathematics, language, and reading in order to receive a Certificate of Completion or an Applied Technology Diploma. Statute requires that all students be assessed before or within the first six weeks of enrollment in a career education program. The Lee Technical Colleges strongly recommend that an assessment be done before registering for a career education program. Standard assessment tools include ACT, SAT, and the Basic Skills Assessment. The Basic Skills Assessment consists of two sub-tests: verbal and quantitative. It is an objective test which provides an easy to interpret, one page report with a simple three color system to indicate suitability for specific educational programs. This score is used to determine which programs you are currently prepared to enter, or to identify areas in which you may need to improve.
- Test scores must be no more than two years old at the beginning of a student’s program. The Basic Skills Assessment is given by the Technical Colleges for a nominal charge.
- If a student has previously earned an associate’s degree or higher from an accredited institution, or has recently graduated from a Florida public school with a standard high school diploma, basic skills testing may not be required.
- By providing all post high school educational transcripts to the admissions staff, the need for basic skills assessment can be determined. An Admissions Specialist will review the basic skills assessments or documentation at the time of registration.
Testing Accommodations – If you are requesting Testing Accommodations, please contact the school at 239-334-4544 at least two weeks prior to testing. Medical documentation of the disability (dated within the last 2 years) must be provided.
Basic Skills Assessment Schedule
Available seats in each test session are limited, so you must register online or at the college by 10:00 a.m. Monday, the day before the Basic Skills Assessment (TABE test). Walk-ins the day of the test will not be allowed to take the TABE that day; they will be registered for the next testing session. Testers are advised to arrive no later than 7:45 a.m the day of the test. When arriving at the school, please enter the campus at Gate 3 and proceed to Building “C” to obtain a testing ID pass. The Basic Skills Assessment is a timed test that could take up to four (4) hours.
Please bring a photo ID and know your social security number. Please wear appropriate clothing – no shorts, tank tops, or flip flops. Cell phones, calculators and electronic devices are not permitted in the testing room and testers may bring bottled water only.
There is a $30 fee to take the Basic Skills Assessment – no bills larger than $20 will be accepted.
Please call 334-4544 during normal school hours, which are from 8 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. for additional information.
After you complete your assessment, you will meet with an admissions specialist to review your scores and discuss enrollment options.
Basic Skills Assessment RETEST POLICY
Students requiring remediation based on the Basic Skills Assessment results will follow this policy:
If students choose to participate in remediation:
- Students need to register/enroll in the Applied Academics for Adult Education at FMTC, Cape Coral Technical College, or Adult Education.
- An individual study program will be developed.
- Upon completion of remediation, the student will retest in the Testing Center.
- Cell phones, pagers, or electronic devices of any type are NOT allowed in any testing session
Students will be allowed to retest without remediation, however, the test may be taken no sooner than three (3) months from the original test date. If the student is not successful on the retest, the student will enroll in remediation or show proof of remediation before another test will be granted.