The 30 hour post-graduate IV Therapy course is available to graduate Practical Nurses, Licensed Practical Nurses, and Registered Nurses. The curriculum meets the Florida Nurse Practice Act, F.S. 464, for the LPN to become IV Therapy certified in the State of Florida. Fluid and electrolyte balance, IV solutions, equipment utilized in IV therapy, venipuncture technique, IV medication administration techniques, complications of IV therapy and the performance of IV therapy via central lines make up the 30-hour course. You must be a CCTC or FMTC graduate in order to enroll.
- July 18 – 20, 2023
30 hours total comprised of a 12 hr on-line component and 18 hr/3 school days classroom/hands-on lab
Approximately $409 (this does not include the cost of scrubs and/or optional textbook)
CWE IV Therapy 22-23 Fee Sheet
What You’ll Learn
- Clinical manifestations of fluid and electrolyte imbalance
- Equipment and solutions utilized in IV therapy
- Venipuncture technique
- IV medication preparation and administration techniques
- Prevention, recognition and treatment of complications of IV Therapy
- Nursing management of heparin locks, central lines and arterial lines
Students who complete this course can expect to earn a starting salary of $31,553 – $53,706 annually in the following industries (Actual wages vary according to education, experience, and certifications.)
- Assisted living facilities
- Long-term care facilities
- Home health
- Convenient care facilities
- Doctor’s offices
Career Ready Skills
- Act as a responsible and contributing citizen and employee.
- Apply appropriate academic and technical skills.
- Attend to personal health and financial well-being.
- Communicate clearly, effectively and with reason.
- Consider the environmental, social and economic impacts of decisions.
- Demonstrate creativity and innovation.
- Employ valid and reliable research strategies.
- Utilize critical thinking to make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
- Model integrity, ethical leadership and effective management.
- Plan education and career path aligned to personal goals.
- Use technology to enhance productivity.
- Work productively in teams while using cultural/global competence.
- Certificate of completion that allows LPN’s to perform advanced IV therapy per Florida Nurse Practice Act, F.S. 464
- Hands on Practice in Venipuncture Technique and use of IV Therapy Tools and Equipment
- Preparation and administration of IV medications
- Calculation and Adjustment of Fluid and Drug Administration Rates
- Administer fluid and medications via central lines
- Blood Draw via CVL
- CVL Dressing and Cap Change
Steps to Enroll
Must be a recent FMTC licensed nurse to take this course. The course website is: IV Prerequisites
Please access this website and complete the MANDATORY pre-course work. This must be submitted electronically to the instructor PRIOR to 8 a.m. the FIRST day of class.