Become a licensed cosmetologist. Work for yourself as an independent contractor, own your own shop, or name your own work schedule. Express individual creativity by providing a wide range of artistic hair, nail, and skincare services using the latest technology, trends, and name-brand products. Evaluate, recommend, and create unique hair designs to exceed client expectations. Operate and experience a full-service interactive salon and spa environment while working alongside professionals.
The purpose of the Cosmetology program is to prepare a person for employment as a cosmetologist. Instruction is designed to qualify students for employment upon successfully passing the Florida Cosmetology Licensing Examination.
Specialized classroom and practical experiences are concerned with a variety of beauty treatments including the care of the hair, skin, and nails. Students are given the knowledge, skills, and necessary work experiences for employment at job entry level. Instruction is also designed to qualify students for the Florida Cosmetology Licensing Examination which requires 1,200 hours of instruction.
Content includes equipment use, sanitation and sterilization procedures, hair styling, shampoos and rinses, scalp treatment, hair cuts, hair coloring, permanent wave applications, hair straightening, facial treatments, make up, manicures, and salon operations.
The following table illustrates the program structure:
Grooming and Salon Services, Facials and Nails
Cosmetologist and Hairdresser (1 of 3)
Cosmetologist and Hairdresser (2 of 3)
Cosmetologist and Hairdresser (3 of 3)
The Cosmetology Salon & Spa is equipped with 24 styling stations, 4 manicure stations, 2 pedicure chairs, 3 facial beds, 8 hooded dryers, and 8 shampoo stations. FMTC’s Cosmetology Salon & Spa is open to the public Tuesday thru Friday from 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. (all chemical services such as color, foils, permanents, and relaxers cannot be performed after 11:00 a.m.) when school is in session. Appointments are preferred. Please call 239.334.4544 ext. 355 between 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. (Monday – Friday) to schedule an appointment. Walk-ins are accepted; but we recommend that you call ahead to check on wait times.
Approximately 11 months
Monday – Friday
8 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
What You’ll Learn
- Hair Styling
- Hair Cutting
- Chemical Texture Services
- Facial Make-up
- Basic Facials
- Salon Business
- Employability Skills
Career Ready Skills
- Act as a responsible and contributing citizen and employee.
- Apply appropriate academic and technical skills.
- Attend to personal health and financial well-being.
- Communicate clearly, effectively and with reason.
- Consider the environmental, social and economic impacts of decisions.
- Demonstrate creativity and innovation.
- Employ valid and reliable research strategies.
- Utilize critical thinking to make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
- Model integrity, ethical leadership and effective management.
- Plan education and career path aligned to personal goals.
- Use technology to enhance productivity.
- Work productively in teams while using cultural/global competence.
- Florida State Board of Cosmetology License
- Skills Competition
- Cosmetology students prepare an employment portfolio that highlights the skills they learned in order to prepare them for a career. The portfolio includes: before and after photos, a resume, reference letters, awards, and their certificate of completion.
Students who complete this course can expect to earn a starting salary of $14+ per hour in the following industries (Actual wages vary according to education, experience, and certifications.)
- Salon Day Spa
- Salon Trainer
- Distributor Sales Consultant
- Educator Product Company
Steps to Enroll
- Attend a Virtual Information Session
- Take the CASAS test, if applicable
- Obtain official transcripts, if applicable (high school, GED, college, etc.)
- Apply for financial aid (official transcripts required)
- Provide appropriate residency documents
- Complete application packet
- Pay application fee