Test of Adult Basic Education (T.A.B.E.)
The Florida Legislature mandates that each student enrolled in a certificate/diploma program must meet required minimum academic skills levels in mathematics, language, and reading in order to receive a Certificate of Completion or an Applied Technology Diploma. Statute requires that all students be assessed before or within the first six weeks of admission into a career education program. The Lee Technical Colleges strongly recommend that an assessment be done before registering for a career education program. Standard assessment tools include the following:
- Test of Adult Basic Education (T.A.B.E.), Forms 11 and 12 ONLY (The T.A.B.E. 11-12 is given by the Technical Colleges for a nominal charge.)
- Florida Postsecondary Education Readiness Test (PERT)
- ACCUPLACER, The College Board
- Next-Generation ACCUPLACER, The College Board
- Comprehensive Adult Student Assessment System (CASAS), GOALS 900 Series
- 2014 GED Test
If a student has previously earned an associate’s degree or higher from an accredited institution, or has recently graduated from a Florida public school (2007 and beyond) with a standard high school diploma, basic skills testing may not be required. By providing all post high school educational transcripts to the admissions staff, the need for basic skills assessment can be determined. An Admissions Specialist will review the basic skills assessments or documentation at the time of registration.
Testing Accommodations – If you are requesting Testing Accommodations, please contact the school at 239-334-4544 at least two weeks prior to testing. Medical documentation of a disability warranting accommodation (dated within the last 2 years) must be provided.
T.A.B.E. Assessment Schedule
Available seats in each session are limited, so testers register for their test at least 24 hours prior on the FMTC website (link below). When arriving at the school, please enter the campus through Gate 3 and proceed to Building “C” to obtain a testing ID pass. The T.A.B.E. test is timed and may take up to five hours total. The test starts promptly at 8:00 a.m.; tardiness may result in being denied entry.
Please bring a photo ID and know your social security number. Please wear appropriate clothing – no shorts, tank tops, or flip flops. Cell phones, calculators and electronic devices are not permitted in the testing room; testers may bring bottled water only.
There is a $30 fee to take the T.A.B.E. – Please register online TABE Test Registration
Please call 334-4544 between 8:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. for additional information.
After you complete your assessment, you may meet with an admissions specialist to review your scores and discuss enrollment options.
T.A.B.E. RETEST POLICY
Students requiring remediation based on the T.A.B.E. results will follow this policy:
If students choose to participate in remediation:
- Students need to register/enroll in the Applied Academics for Adult Education (Learning Center) at FMTC, Cape Coral Technical College, or Adult Education.
- An individual study program will be developed.
- Upon completion of remediation, the student will retest in the Learning Center.
- Cell phones, pagers, or electronic devices of any type are NOT allowed in any testing session
Students will be allowed to retest without remediation ONE time; the test may be taken no sooner than three months from the original test date. If the student is not successful on the retest, the student will enroll in remediation or show proof of remediation before another test will be granted.
FMTC is an authorized testing site for the ParaPro Assessment. For more information and to sign up for a test, please visit the ParaPro Assessment page.
Federal legislation, known as No Child Left Behind, requires that beginning January 8, 2002, paraprofessionals are required to have one of the following:
- An associate of arts degree
- A minimum of 48 semester hours of college credit
- Demonstrated, through a state or local academic assessment, knowledge of, and the ability to assist in the instruction of reading, writing, and math
TEAS – Test of Essential Academic Skills is used as part of the admissions process for the Practical Nursing program. The test is given at both Fort Myers Technical College and Cape Coral Technical College, but students are welcome to test at any ATI approved site that is convenient. Students must present a score report at the time they apply for the LPN program.
Please access the following link for ATI TEAS study guide materials: