- Attend an Information Session (Tuesday's 9:30 a.m. or 5:30 p.m.)
- Meet with a counselor (The student meets with a counselor to discuss educational options, registration, basic skills assessment, start and end dates, class, program costs, and, if applicable, remediation schedules.)
- Take the TABE test (if applicable) Students who have an associate’s degree or higher may be exempt from academic assessment testing. Students who have graduated from a Florida public high school with a standard high school diploma since 2007 may also be exempt from academic assessment testing. The most frequently used assessment is the Test of Adult Basic Education, which is administered on campus for a fee of $15.
- Submit Official Transcripts (Request all high school/GED and college transcripts to be sent to FMTC Admissions, 3800 Michigan Avenue, Fort Myers, FL 33916. Transcripts may also be delivered in person if they are in a sealed envelope. If you do not have a high school diploma or GED, you may still be eligible to enroll in some programs at FMTC. Please talk with an admissions counselor.)
- Apply for financial aid (official transcripts required) A financial aid advisor provides counseling to determine financial assistance eligibility.
- Determine Florida residency for tuition purposes.
- In order to qualify for in state tuition, prospective students must have two documents indicating that they (or their parents/guardian if the student is under the age of 24) have lived in Florida at least 12 months prior to the first day of their first term of enrollment. See the section on Residency for details and a list of acceptable documents. Documents may be sent to FMTC Admissions, 3800 Michigan Avenue, Fort Myers, FL 33916. They may also be delivered in person. Two 12-month old documents confirming Florida Residence for Tuition Purposes. Residency Requirements
- Complete application packet with counselor.
- Pay application fee. $30 Application Fee. You may pay by cash, VISA, MasterCard, or check.
Most programs require an orientation session/interview prior to completing the enrollment process, in which case the counselor will initiate registration and register the student for orientation. Payment of fees completes the admissions process and is required prior to attending classes.
First-time FMTC students are required to attend the FMTC 101 workshop. The counselors will help to schedule an upcoming session.
If you are in one of the student categories below, your steps will vary.
International Students – If you are not a U.S. citizen, you will need to bring your INS documents to a counselor before applying for admission. Do not pay the $30 before checking on your eligibility.
High School Students – All high school students must apply through their school counselor or career specialist.